[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

RE: magazine light seal

Hey Mark,
Took me a minute to see those rods you were talking about. Then I realized they were missing on the 200' I was looking at. Found some on an English 400'. Only problem is they are all as old as the light seals and just as dried out. Can't use 'em. This whole thing started when I decided to replace one of the seals and I went down to my local HW store and bought an off the shelf O-ring. Don't remember what size, but I believe it is 1/8" diameter. And it works pretty good in the straight sections. If you pull it taunt it slips into the groove easily and when you release it, it swells back and snugs into the groove tight. Whoopee, so far so good. Now comes the problem, it keeps slipping off in the corners. Once I get one corner started, then move around to the next, it POPS off! I had a couple of ideas to fix this. I thought about putting a drop of Super Glue into a corner then fitting the O-ring into it. Think it would hold? Definitely a two man job. It won't be easy to hold a tight O-ring and squeeze a measured amount of super glue into the corner. My other idea was to take a piece of wood and cut it down to approximately the dimensions of the seal groove, wrap the O-ring around the wood, then put a heat gun to it and try to shape it a bit. Whadda ya think? I will probably figure something out eventually, but I thought I would put the question before the List and see if anyone had done this before I super glue some limbs together, burn down my house with a heat gun, or put the local hardware store owner's kids thru college buying O-rings.

Mark wrote:
Take a look at the inside of your Magazine covers. On the French 200' mags and on the English 400' mags there are long rubber rods designed to keep the film from rubbing right up against the door in the event of loose film or a loose core, (the French 400' mags use a stainless steel rod instead --- noisier if the film rubs, but less likely to jam the mag since the stainless steel rods place less friction on the film than the rubber --- I'm in the process of converting all my mags to stainless steel, figuring that noise is better than a jam).

If you strip off one of these rubber rods, you should find that they are a perfect match for the rubber seal around the mag pressure plate. I once used a few to replace a worn-out seal; I used contact cement--- got cement all over the place and it looked ugly but worked. My gluing technique definitely needed refining. If nothing else, you could take one of those rubber rods to a rubber supply company, or a gasket making company, or an electronics store selling rubber belts for VCR and audio equipment, and try to match it.

Let us know what ends up working. Mark.

EASY UNSUBSCRIBE click here: http://topica.com/u/?a84xYK.a9svPI
Or send an email To: EclairACL-unsubscribe@topica.com
This email was sent to: elroro@propagandaindustries.org

T O P I C A -- Register now to manage your mail!