RE: Eclair Cameras: Image Quality

Wade,

When I shot Fuji Color Negative, and had it transferred to video, the lab got the colors all wrong (pink faces). Since then, I have been afraid to shoot this film. But I shot six rolls recently, and I am planning to send them off to www.3516.com for scene by scene color correction. It has been my experience that with reversal on video transfer, the colors come out beautifully--and the lab doesn't impose their "color bias" onto the video transfer. I know it doesn't have as much latitude as negative though--so in terms of very contrasty scenes negative is superior.

As far as using the TTL light meter on the Eclair, you can approximate an incident reading by taking a measure of a grey card within the same light as your subject. Since you are taking a reflected reading and not an incident reading with this meter, you need to use a grey card for consistent exposure of faces. If you know how far off Caucasian skin is from the grey card you can compensate by overexposing 1 stop without using the card itself. For darker skin you would have to underexpose, as a reflected reading would attempt to render it grey. Personally, I find the TTL meter indispensible for moving shots where the light changes drastically. I like to do shots like the endless tracking one in Goodfellas where you are moving everywhere and the light is constantly changing. This is why the Canon Scoopic MS was such an awesome camera, because it changed exposure for you automatically, just like a video camera. Part of the point I'm trying to make is that built in meters are great for moving shots whereas handheld meters are impractcal for this. I could be wrong, though. Do you have a method for shooting moving shots without a TTL meter?

Mike Welle