To: "Eclair Cameras" <EclairACL@topica.com>
Sent: Tuesday, August 05, 2003 7:00 AM
Subject: RE: Eclair Cameras: Image Quality

Wade,

When I shot Fuji Color Negative, and had it transferred to video, the
lab got the colors all wrong (pink faces).  Since then, I have been
afraid to shoot this film.  But I shot six rolls recently, and I am
planning to send them off to www.3516.com for scene by scene color
correction.  It has been my experience that with reversal on video
transfer, the colors come out beautifully--and the lab doesn't impose
their "color bias" onto the video transfer.  I know it doesn't have as
much latitude as negative though--so in terms of very contrasty scenes
negative is superior.

As far as using the TTL light meter on the Eclair, you can approximate
an incident reading by taking a measure of a grey card
within the same light as your subject.  Since you are taking a reflected
reading and not an incident reading with this meter, you need to use a
grey card for consistent exposure of faces.  If you know how far off
Caucasian skin is from the grey card you can compensate by overexposing
1 stop without using the card itself.  For darker skin you would have to
underexpose, as a reflected reading would attempt to render it grey.
Personally, I find the TTL meter indispensible for moving shots where
the light changes drastically.  I like to do shots like the endless
tracking one in Goodfellas where you are moving everywhere and the light
is constantly changing.  This is why the Canon Scoopic MS was such an
awesome camera, because it changed exposure for you automatically, just
like a video camera.  Part of the point I'm trying to make is that built
in meters are great for moving shots whereas handheld meters are
impractcal for this.  I could be wrong, though.  Do you have a method
for shooting moving shots without a TTL meter?

Mike Welle