Eclair Cameras: Relative Quality of Film Cameras

In a message dated 8/2/2003 2:04:02 PM Pacific Daylight Time, eric@earthid.org writes:

the truth of the matter is that one make of camera over another may give better mechanical stability as far as the camera not breaking down, or causing problems like poor-registration, lost-loop, jaming, etc. ... but this is not an image issue --- correct?

Absolutely. With a film camera in proper tune-up, if the film lays flat on the film plane for even focus, the motor runs reliably, and the registration is good, the main thing that matters is the TYPE OF FILM and the LENS, as far as image quality goes.

I have just finished a feature shot with an ACL, and many of the younger actors marvel at this tiny 30-year old camera that isn't digital and shoots "real pictures". But they wonder if the quality of an old camera is really that good. I have to explain over and over that with film, if the camera is working, the quality depends on the FILM and LENS ... it isn't like video.

Mark.