Eclair Cameras: Relative Quality of Film Cameras-response

ok, i have to ask this because in the other forums/lists wherein i have spent time, none seem to have as many 'working film camera operators' logged on as does this list.  so, here it goes;

i do not yet have my century charts(everything takes forever to arrive to me here in mexico, providing it actually arrives), and the only zoom lens i have used thus far has been the angeniuex 12-120.  the lens is mint, and came on the beaulieu a purchased.  now the acl i purchased also has a angenieu 12-120 zoom.  what is a good lens under $5k that would be the lens of choice by each of you in this forum to use on your acl?   the reason i ask is because although i am pleased with the image quality from the 12-120, the images from the switar primes i have been using are much brighter ... or crisper, or cltearer ... i am not exactly sure what they are, but they look noticably differant.  however, i have come to the realization that i personally do not like having to change out my lenses each time i want to frame using a differant mm because it is time consuming, and requires being in a still place, where there is no dust, etc.  are there any zoom lenses that provide near prime
quality? if so, which ones are they? does anyone have resolution comparisons between the 12-120 and other zooms? i have seen some acl users using a zeiss zoom lens.

From: Mark <super16acl@aol.com>
Date:  Sat, 2 Aug 2003 19:15:04 EDT

In a message dated 8/2/2003 2:04:02 PM Pacific Daylight Time, eric@earthid.org writes:

the truth of the matter is that one make of camera over another may give better mechanical stability as far as the camera not breaking down, or causing problems like poor-registration, lost-loop, jaming, etc. ... but this is not an image issue --- correct?

Absolutely. With a film camera in proper tune-up, if the film lays flat on the film plane for even focus, the motor runs reliably, and the registration is good, the main thing that matters is the TYPE OF FILM and the LENS, as far as image quality goes.

I have just finished a feature shot with an ACL, and many of the younger actors marvel at this tiny 30-year old camera that isn't digital and shoots "real pictures". But they wonder if the quality of an old camera is really that good. I have to explain over and over that with film, if the camera is working, the quality depends on the FILM and LENS ... it isn't like video.

Mark.

--
eric martin jarvies sr
cabo san lucas, bcs mexico cp 23410

NOTICE<<<
ANY AND ALL WRITTEN TEXT EXCHANGED IN THIS EMAIL THREAD MAY BE REPRODUCED IN ANY FORM FOR ANY REASON WHATSOEVER, INCLUDING NON AND FOR PROFIT, FOR THE PURPOSES OF MY OWN INFORMATION EXCHANGE AND PUBLICALLY AVAILABLE KNOWLEDGE-BASE / FORUM / JOURNAL, LOCATED AT HTTP://WWW.EARTHID.ORG OR ANY OTHER INTERNET SITE OR FORM OF PRINT/DIGITAL/ANALOG MEDIA, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO; VHS, DVD, FILM, PUBLICATION(BOOK, MAGAZINE, ADVERTISEMENT), AND AUDIO.  RESPECTIVE CREDIT, COPYRIGHT, TRADEMARK, SERVICEMARK, OR PATENT WILL BE MADE PART THEREOF ACCORDINGLY.  PLEASE REFRAIN FROM SLANDER OR HERESAY, AND CONSIDER ANY SUCH QUOTE(S) I MAY USE FROM THIS COMMUNICATION THREAD A DIRECT REFLECTION OF YOU AND/OR YOUR POSITION AS IT RELATES TO THE DISUSSED SUBJECT MATTER AND YOUR OVERALL OPINION(S) ACCORDINGLY AND RESPECTFULLY, UNLESS OTHERWISE STATED.  I GIVE FULL PERMISSION FOR YOU TO EXPRESS THE EXACT SAME RIGHTS IN RETROSPECT.