RE: Eclair Cameras: Lens testing procedures

Thanks, Emmanuel. I'm in Burbank, California, so there is no shortage of rental facilities nearby. I should probably get to know them anyway, although I am not keen on renting. I will take your advice and examine my film on the biggest monitor at the best transfer facility I can afford. I thought I'd also take my negative and literally put it under a microscope to check the resolution.
emmanuel@suys.de wrote:

Greetings Ian,

Just doing some tests now for an upcoming series starting Tuesday so here is some
tips.

Regarding charts don't know where you live or work but maybe there is a camera rental company near you. They usually print there own charts. They are quite standard and are almost all similar with the exception of the logo of the Rental company. Behind the chart there is usually a grid as well so you can also perform a quick registration test. You can probably get them for free. Get quite a few so you can fix them one next to each other to make a giant one so covering wide angle all the way to tele and separate
distances.

You can check your results via the telecine, that is what I did yesterday, but at the telecine facility itself on their giant monitors. It is all properly calibrated and if not is fixed within seconds. There is telecine and telecine. A while ago I had a private test done and telecined but I could not figure if the problem was mine or a bad transfert so if you can assist the telecine then that is ok. Projection again when performed correctly
is by far more easier to judge.
Yesterday I had a doubt on a particular test and asked for a projection so I could check
the grain properly which was not visible at the telecine.

Hope this helps.

Regards
Emmanuel from Munich

On 19 Aug 2003 at 6:04, Ian Marks wrote:

> I'm going to be shooting some lens tests soon and was wondering if
> anyone could suggest some procedures.Emmanuel SUYS
Kamera-Assistent, Focus Puller, Assistant Camera
35mm - 16mm
Français, Nederlands, English, Deutsch
Tel:00-49-89-30 76 34 69
or