Eclair Cameras: reversal film-response/comments

one thing that is an obvious advantage to shooting reversal film is that you can telecine the footage yourself using a modified 16mm projector with either a condensor lens(like a workprinter for example), or a custom setup like the jk, wherein you use an extension tube.  the transfer of the footage depends on the quality of the capturing camera.  on the workprinter, if you are using a miniDV digital camera, broadcast 3 chip ccd camera, or any video camera, you can use the computer to capture one frame at a time(up to 6 or 9 fps). the resolution is based on the quality of the video camera/lens.  the jk device allows you to use a digital still slr camera much the same way as the workprinter, wherein the flash socket on the camera digital still slr camera is modified so the jk machine can automattically advance the film to the next frame, instruct the camera to shoot the image, and then advance again, repeating the process until your roll of film is completed.  this latter proce
ss means that you can literally capture the film images at hd quality.  the workprinter method with a condensor lens could also be rigged to work with a digital still slr, but would take some doing.  either way, you could obtain hd quality images from your reversal film instead of having a telecine service do this for you.  the only disadvantage(besides having to do the work yourself), is that you will need to know how to properly color correct the footage on the computer, and this will require you have a good color correction program, like is found in fcp4 for example.

the reason i mention it is because if you are shooting lots of footage and have a nle setup at your home or office, it actually pays to purchase one or the other of these units(workprinter under $2k and jk printer under $5k, not including your choice of video or still digital camera) and telecine/transfer the footage yourself.  heck, 2000' of film woud about pay for one of these, correct?  how much do you guys pay for telecine of your color reversal film. or negative film for that matter?

From: Raymond <roelrich@shaw.ca>
Date:  Sun, 03 Aug 2003 15:02:36 -0700

Michael,

I thank you for your insight into reversal film. I am also shooting 100 ft.
rolls, and love them! I load them in daylight and have no problem with them,
shooting wildlife films. That is not easy when you are using 400 ft mags and
run out of film, and have to carry not only the film, but the changing bag
as well out into the field. I am getting a back up camera to have one

What ASA film do you shoot for reversal film? I have access to some
Kodachrome, as well as other Kodak reversal film, and would like to shoot
it. Anyone have any experience with Fuji reversal film? For outdoor filming
with wildlife, what film would you suggest?

Anyone know where to get recanned or short end film in 16mm, either negative
or reversal?

Thanks

Raymond

----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael Welle" <mwelle@starband.net>