Re: Eclair Cameras: Cameflex base scratch

Here is the procedure of doing a scratch test.  Run some new film through
the camera and stop the running before the end of the roll.  Remove the
lens and mark the film to show where it is in the gate.  Remove the
magazine.  Cut nicks in the edge of the film where it lined up in the gate.
Unload magazine in the dark.  Get the film processed if necessary to help
show the scratch, especially an emulsion scratch.  Find the end of the
scratch and put a small mark on it with a sharpie or notch the edge of the
film.  Rethread this film into the magazine so the edge nicks line up with
the gate.  Now look for the small mark which shows the end of the scratch
and your offending part will be right there.

An intermittant scratch is more difficult to detect.  For example, some
magazines use an arm which rides on the film to operate a feet remaining
indicator; perhaps it scratches the film only when the film roll is a
certain diameter.  Also, rollers can be intermitantly stuck and cause a
scratch, then free up and cause no problem.

The position of the scratch on the film can also give a hint where the
scratch is being caused.  Scratches near the edges of the film are most
likely rollers or guides; scratches in the middle of the film can't be
rollers or guides and are most likely pressure plate or gate defects.

Various designs and construction of movie cameras requires slight
modifications to how you do this test.  Some cameras have removable mags,
others don't.  Some have removeable lens, some don't.  The idea is to mark
the frame which is in the gate or mark a frame at some other location in
the threading path so that the processed film can be re-installed in the
camera/magazine the same way it was when the run was stopped mid-roll and
the end of the scratch will show where the problem is.

C.J.

Hi Ian and CJ,

Yes, any details on testing the mags would be greatly appreciated.

All the best,
Dale