Re: ACL vs. NPR

Eclair ACL Discussion and Support

--------------------------- ListBot Sponsor --------------------------
Sopranos fanatics, this one is for you.  Tony Soprano's autographed
Suburban is available for purchase on eBayTM.  James Gandolfini has
personally signed the vehicle.  Find this and over 800 other Sopranos
items for sale on eBay.
http://www.bcentral.com/listbot/ebay

Try hand-holding both cameras and see which feels best to you. The NPR rests ON your shoulder, (kind of like an Aaton --- but less comfortable), the ACL rests more up against your shoulder (more like an SR). The anatomic grip of the ACL II is much better designed for hand-holding than the handle with the ACL 1 and 1.5. It also depends on whether you plan to use 200' or 400' mags with the ACL. The 200' mags are obviously lighter, but with a dramatic scene of any length you end up with a lot of mag changes (and more short ends). I've never compared them side by side, but I seem to recall the NPR is a little quieter (assuming no Barney on either). The variable shutter probably has two main uses: 1) To give that jerky "MTV" look; (2) To shoot off a TV screen at 144 degrees .... although as I recall the setting on the NPR is only approximate at 144. I think that the NPR is a terrific camera --- but my shoulder can't handle the weight. The NPR is a tank --- the ACL is more 'delicate' , and is a "one owner" camera. The NPR has a registration pin, but the ACL also has excellent registration. Make sure you get the ACL heavy duty motor to run 400' mags. You can get a comparison of ACL models at my site www.members.aol.com/super16acl.

Anyone out there currently using both for a better comparison?