Re: Eclair Cameras: acl original packaging-factory materials-comments

mark,

so many NEW filmmakers are very misled by this fact.  until you have time under your belt, or have taken some film camera apart and understand how they work, it is hard to determine this fact, because you'll always have someone out there telling you one camera is better then the other and will give you better image quality, etc.  wherein the truth of the matter it may give you better stability as far as the camera not breaking down, or causing you problems like registration(which is not related to the actual individual image quality), looping, jaming, etc.  and naturally, the film speed, be it in sync or not, is a relational sound issue and not an image issue.  correct?  usually the peole new-comers are talking to are those SELLING the camera, in which case anything is bound to be said or claimed.

From: Mark <super16acl@aol.com>
Date:  Sat, 2 Aug 2003 16:42:29 EDT

All things being equal, I think it is fair to say that the major factor affecting "quality" in the film process is the FILM STOCK and LENS, not the camera. HOWEVER, there are definitely lower end cameras that have inferior registration (and of course non-crystal motors for 100% accurate speed).

I have found the registration (steadiness) on a correctly tuned ACL to be outstanding.

Other than such issues such as brightness of viewfinder and other bells and whistles, I do not think footage shot with an Arri or Aaton would produce better images than those shot with an ACL. I have intercut footage shot with an Aaton and an ACL and blown to 35mm with absolutely no way of distinguishing the difference. Mark. PS - This is unlike HD Video, where the camera itself makes all the difference. One can shoot on a 50 year-old film camera and get identical image quality as a modern Panaflex; but last year's HD Camera is last year's image quality. Want the best in Video, spend another $150,000 or more on a new camera. With film, just buy the latest emulsion and use a good lens. I don't think that HD will ever be more cost effective than film in the big picture: it will simply shift the profits from Rochester to Tokyo. Mark.

--
eric martin jarvies sr
cabo san lucas, bcs mexico cp 23410

NOTICE<<<
ANY AND ALL WRITTEN TEXT EXCHANGED IN THIS EMAIL THREAD MAY BE REPRODUCED IN ANY FORM FOR ANY REASON WHATSOEVER, INCLUDING NON AND FOR PROFIT, FOR THE PURPOSES OF MY OWN INFORMATION EXCHANGE AND PUBLICALLY AVAILABLE KNOWLEDGE-BASE / FORUM / JOURNAL, LOCATED AT HTTP://WWW.EARTHID.ORG OR ANY OTHER INTERNET SITE OR FORM OF PRINT/DIGITAL/ANALOG MEDIA, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO; VHS, DVD, FILM, PUBLICATION(BOOK, MAGAZINE, ADVERTISEMENT), AND AUDIO.  RESPECTIVE CREDIT, COPYRIGHT, TRADEMARK, SERVICEMARK, OR PATENT WILL BE MADE PART THEREOF ACCORDINGLY.  PLEASE REFRAIN FROM SLANDER OR HERESAY, AND CONSIDER ANY SUCH QUOTE(S) I MAY USE FROM THIS COMMUNICATION THREAD A DIRECT REFLECTION OF YOU AND/OR YOUR POSITION AS IT RELATES TO THE DISUSSED SUBJECT MATTER AND YOUR OVERALL OPINION(S) ACCORDINGLY AND RESPECTFULLY, UNLESS OTHERWISE STATED.  I GIVE FULL PERMISSION FOR YOU TO EXPRESS THE EXACT SAME RIGHTS IN RETROSPECT.