hasing a camera based on public opinion/popularity based on the rants and raves, or the judgements and critiques. and because each person has their own reason for purchasing a camera, perhaps understanding why one is beter then the next(in particular types of use and application) for their specific purpose would save both time and money for all involved.

From: Michael Welle <mwelle@starband.net>
Date:  Sat,  2 Aug 2003 17:13:08 +0000

Eric wrote: i beleive i have collected as much original material for the r16 as did exist when it was made/sold, including original packaging. but these acl/npr cameras are a totally differant gig. did they ever make a box for these cameras? of were they sent out in regular shipping boxes/crates? and then photos of the actual manufacturing facility

Eric,
This is something I've been wondering myself. In particular, was the camera originally shipped in a box with that padded Samsonite suitcase with the lens attached. If so, doesn't that basically contradict what Aaton says in their manual for the LTR54 when they say ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS remove the lens when transporting the camera. You see, I don't remove the lens. I had a case specifically built for my ACL at Star Case and I shipped it off to Bernie, and the camera is working beautifully. Do you really have to remove the damn lens every time? I hate it because I end up getting it improperly seated and I just don't want to deal with it. I love this line from Elvis Costello because it really reminds me of the Eclair:

"I just know I've gotta get out of this place. I can't stand anymore of that mechanical grace. Though you say it's only an industrial squeeze, it looks like a luxury it feels like a disease."

I really feel like I don't have any mechanical grace, but I love the pictures the ACL takes. The films look like a luxury but the process of making them feels like a disease (problems, problems, problems). Why can't it just be simple like a video camera? Everything feels like an industrial squeeze.
Michael Welle

--
eric martin jarvies sr
cabo san lucas, bcs mexico cp 23410

NOTICE<<<
ANY AND ALL WRITTEN TEXT EXCHANGED IN THIS EMAIL THREAD MAY BE REPRODUCED IN ANY FORM FOR ANY REASON WHATSOEVER, INCLUDING NON AND FOR PROFIT, FOR THE PURPOSES OF MY OWN INFORMATION EXCHANGE AND PUBLICALLY AVAILABLE KNOWLEDGE-BASE / FORUM / JOURNAL, LOCATED AT HTTP://WWW.EARTHID.ORG OR ANY OTHER INTERNET SITE OR FORM OF PRINT/DIGITAL/ANALOG MEDIA, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO; VHS, DVD, FILM, PUBLICATION(BOOK, MAGAZINE, ADVERTISEMENT), AND AUDIO.  RESPECTIVE CREDIT, COPYRIGHT, TRADEMARK, SERVICEMARK, OR PATENT WILL BE MADE PART THEREOF ACCORDINGLY.  PLEASE REFRAIN FROM SLANDER OR HERESAY, AND CONSIDER ANY SUCH QUOTE(S) I MAY USE FROM THIS COMMUNICATION THREAD A DIRECT REFLECTION OF YOU AND/OR YOUR POSITION AS IT RELATES TO THE DISUSSED SUBJECT MATTER AND YOUR OVERALL OPINION(S) ACCORDINGLY AND RESPECTFULLY, UNLESS OTHERWISE STATED.  I GIVE FULL PERMISSION FOR YOU TO EXPRESS THE EXACT SAME RIGHTS IN RETROSPECT.