RE: Eclair Cameras: HD-144-installation-ACL serial numbers

hello,

thanks.  yes, i am exciting and cant wait to receive it.  and yes, your advise regarding shipping it direct to berny is the correct advise, and i had earlier also came to that conclusion.  i will say one thing, it'll be nice moving past the equipment and into the filmamaking and storytelling.  but one really must be satisfied with what their tools are, or at least i need to feel satisfied.  and because i am not made of money, there are limits to my satisfaction.  but even then, i beleive a good film can and will be made with the equipment i can afford.  and as i have fast discovered, the equipment, no matter how nice or mediocre, it still only serves to distract fro mthe true purpose of it in the first place ... record moving pictures.  so taking my scripts and making them the way i visualize them, is something i just cant wait to start doing.  so next stop ... bernie's camera magic.  having 16x9 will be the final topping on the dvd cake.

thanks again for the answers.

From: RT <cinesota@yahoo.com>
Date:  Fri,  1 Aug 2003 04:06:13 +0000

Hi Eric,
Congrats on winning that ACL. It's a rare bird indeed in that condition. I too would also recommend Bernie O'Doherty for any work on your camera. His work and his prices are the best. Contact him at www.laserbrighten.com. Just a thought here: if your seller hasn't shipped your camera yet you might have him ship it direct to Bernie and then just have Bernie ship it to you. I know you are dealing with the pain and expense of shipping across borders, so it might save you some time and money.

As the others have pointed out I would be careful about tinkering with your ACL. Setting the timing on the movement and keeping the camera quiet is very tricky and usually requires years of experience to get it right. I admire your DIY ethic though. I think one of the appealing things about film cameras over their DV brethren is the ability to upgrade and repair the cameras yourself. A film camera isn't a pile of computer chips and plastic. The Beaulieu R16 is definitely a good camera to start with. They are cheap and plentiful. If it wasn't for a DIY'er we wouldn't have the HD 144 parts kit. Mark S saw a need and he studied the camera and went out and did it. Honestly I think he did alot to revive the ACL platform. So keep it up and let us know how it goes. The DVD sounds interesting. The more information we share the better.

Regarding ACL serial numbers, that has been an on and off proposition. We (the List members) have tried to put together a comprehensive list of serial numbers before but unfortunately after the demise of Eclair there seemed to be a concerted effort on Eclair's (or the new owners) part to destroy any information related to these cameras. What information we have found has come from former engineers or secondary sources and hasn't proven very reliable. It might be worth putting out the call for this info again, so if anyone has anything to add or maybe an idea where we should start with this then please contact us.

Anyway Eric I digress, I think you have a late model ACL 2 on your hands and a beautiful one to boot. Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Ray

ps. I would be remissed if I left out my buddy Les Bosher. He is an excellent camera engineer and he does some magical things with cameras. If you are looking to add some aftermarket parts to your camera stop by his website, www.lesbosher.co.uk

--
eric martin jarvies sr
cabo san lucas, bcs mexico cp 23410

NOTICE<<<
ANY AND ALL WRITTEN TEXT EXCHANGED IN THIS EMAIL THREAD MAY BE REPRODUCED IN ANY FORM FOR ANY REASON WHATSOEVER, INCLUDING NON AND FOR PROFIT, FOR THE PURPOSES OF MY OWN INFORMATION EXCHANGE AND PUBLICALLY AVAILABLE KNOWLEDGE-BASE / FORUM / JOURNAL, LOCATED AT HTTP://WWW.EARTHID.ORG OR ANY OTHER INTERNET SITE OR FORM OF PRINT/DIGITAL/ANALOG MEDIA, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO; VHS, DVD, FILM, PUBLICATION(BOOK, MAGAZINE, ADVERTISEMENT), AND AUDIO.  RESPECTIVE CREDIT, COPYRIGHT, TRADEMARK, SERVICEMARK, OR PATENT WILL BE MADE PART THEREOF ACCORDINGLY.  PLEASE REFRAIN FROM SLANDER OR HERESAY, AND CONSIDER ANY SUCH QUOTE(S) I MAY USE FROM THIS COMMUNICATION THREAD A DIRECT REFLECTION OF YOU AND/OR YOUR POSITION AS IT RELATES TO THE DISUSSED SUBJECT MATTER AND YOUR OVERALL OPINION(S) ACCORDINGLY AND RESPECTFULLY, UNLESS OTHERWISE STATED.  I GIVE FULL PERMISSION FOR YOU TO EXPRESS THE EXACT SAME RIGHTS IN RETROSPECT.