From: <ocularmagic@yahoo.com>
To: <EclairACL@topica.com>
Sent: Wednesday, October 31, 2001 1:55 PM
Subject: Re: Eclair ACL

  I'll be using a French 400ft mag myself.  I have not
run a full 400ft roll through it yet, but I did shoot
100ft through it, (after rewinding it emulsion out.)
It came out crystal clear which was a relief.  Now the
real test comes, I'll be running a full 400ft roll
through it.  Any warnings about things to keep an eye
on that might be a tell tale sign of jammings to come?

James

--- Wade Ramsey <wramsey@bju.edu> wrote:
> Just for your information, I've never seen a
> magazine on any mp
> camera, from 200' to 1200' capacity, in which the
> feed side is driven.
>  But there are some that are made to be reversible,
> such as the Arri
> 16M, in which the take up drive switches gears when
> the camera is
> reversed, allowing the feed side to take up.
>
> Which magazine are you working with, English 400
> ft.?  If so, it
> isn't pictured in the ACL-1 manual referred to on
> the web site.  The
> raw stock roll is inserted so that it feeds off in a
> clockwise
> direction, and the film is simply pushed into the
> light trap as far as
> it will go.
>
> Although I've never bought film in Europe,
> apparently some suppliers
> over there offer stock wound emulsion out (or did at
> one time.)  The
> Eclair NPR magazine has two threading routes marked
> in the supply
> side, one for emulsion in, one for emulsion out.
> Eclair followed the
> lead of Mitchell, it seems, in designing the
> magazines to take up
> emulsion out.  Mitchell did it to counteract the
> curl of the film on
> the 35mm emulsions of yore, and carried the idea
> over to 16mm, which
> was an unnecessary irritation.  We always just gave
> the takeup belt a
> twist on the Mitchell 16 to make it take up emulsion
> in.
>
> One good thing Debrie did when they made the English
> ACL was to take
> up emulsion in.  But Eclair, when they took it over
> and redesigned it,
> went back to the insane emulsion out takeup of the
> NPR, so you could
> enjoy the frustration of dumping a 400' roll of
> loose film into your
> hand when you unloaded!
>
> Wade K. Ramsey, DP
> Dept. of Cinema & Video Production