Re: Eclair ACL ...Sanctuary!

Normally a prime should be sharper than the corresponding zoom --- but those Angenieux Primes are older than the 12:120 zoom, so I wouldn't make any assumptions without testing. The Angie primes were designed when B&W predominated, and B&W didn't require the sharpest lenses since the old B&W films were vastly less sharp than modern color films (even today, the Kodak B& W motion picture films have never been upgraded to T-grain --- 7222 and 7231 emulsions haven't been improved in over 30 years! The next time I shoot a B& W feature, I may try to order a special batch coated with T-Max emulsion and experiment --- there is a minimum order of something like 15,000 feet to do a special order). So you may be better off with the later model zoom.

Switars are extremely sharp --- the Angenieux primes are like toys next to Switars, (Even the 13mm Switar D-mount on my Dad's old 8mm Bolex is sharper than an Angie prime). Just create a lens hood to avoid flare with the Switar --- the design places the front element right up front with no protection. I've used Switars for inserts intercut with Zeiss, and they certainly looked fine. (I once tried an Angenieux prime intercut with a Zeiss --- not a pretty sight).

Also, if you are shooting in Regular-16 you don't need expensive T1.2 SUPERSPEEDS to own Zeiss quality optics. You can pick up T2.2 Zeiss standard-mount lenses for Regular-16 for $300-500 each, and they are virtually as sharp as anything made today. Just make sure that the coatings are good. Mark.