From: EclairACL@topica.com
To: EclairACL@topica.com
Subject: Digest for EclairACL@topica.com, issue 192
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 04:05:58 -0700

-- Topica Digest --

	Re: Burnt Out HD Motors
	By rho@netreach.net

	LCD footage counter for magazines
	By themoviehouse@hotmail.com

	Re: LCD footage counter for magazines
	By rho@netreach.net

	Re: LCD footage counter for magazines
	By super16acl@aol.com

Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2002 14:46:37 -0400
From: Robert Morein <rho@netreach.net>
Subject: Re: Eclair ACL Burnt Out HD Motors

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark" <super16acl@aol.com>
To: <EclairACL@topica.com>
Sent: Sunday, April 28, 2002 12:07 AM

> I received a note from the fellow who had two HD motors go south on him,
in
> reply to my e-mail asking if it was 14 volts that caused the problem. His
> reply:
>
> "... I cannot confirm that voltage was indeed the culprit. I lost them
quite
> some time ago so I cannot actually remember the cause. It would seem to me > that if indeed the voltage was the issue I would surely have lost the fuse
> before the motor."
>
> A good point.

But not true. One of the problems with bipolar motor driver transistors is
that they are prone to this kind of failure; it's called "thermal runaway."

It's a kind of a joke among E.E.s that a semiconductor will blow first to
protect the fuse :).

Does anybody know what Eclair's "official" amp rating on the
> fuse is supposed to be for the 1.5 Base, and the II Base. For those of us > running above 12 volts, this is an important concern. I have a 1.5 with a
7
> amp fuse, and a II with an 8 amp fuse --- but for all I know someone may
have
> just stuck these in 20 years ago.  Mark.

The "correct" fuse is supposed to be 6 amp.
I blew a fuse and discovered to my astonishment it was an 8 amp.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2002 22:56:45 +0000
From: "Robert Latimer" <themoviehouse@hotmail.com>
Subject: LCD footage counter for magazines

Mark,

Interested in your ideas for placing an LCD footage counter on your mag, but how are you planning on triggering the counter? Are you going to place some
kind of tacho in your magazines too?

You can get low cost LCD readouts for about $8 that only need a 5 volt
square wave to trigger them, but you're obviously going to need some
electronics hanging off that.  You could make them so small and cheap you
could place digital readouts on each mag, but I'd really like to know how
you intend to rig up your clock's tacho.

LCD is fine for day and studio shoots, but if you ever film in low light
those displays are very hard to read.  But you can buy them with suitable
back lights at extra cost.  LED are also a plausible auction, nice and
bright no matter.

Personally, I think your LCD would be better off counting incrementally
rather than decremenatlly.  Otherwise you're going to need some kind of
input to cycle your counter up to the right starting footage, and that's a
whole new bunch of electronics and possibly an entry pad.  However, if the
LCD just counts up, all you need is the reset button, which is already
fitted.

Regards

Robert Latimer
(The Movie House)