RE: Eclair Cameras: film processing b&w reversal

Eric:

Here are the two messages I received from our lab man, Fred Pachter, about B&W reversal processing:

"As before, the process consists of First Developer, Bleach, Clearing Bath, Redeveloper, and Fixer with Photo Flo injected in the final wash stage.  My Jamieson machine also inserts wash/rinse tanks between each of the chemical steps.

The First Developer is reformulated to eliminate Sodium Thiocyanate and the bleach is reformulated to use Potassium Permanganate instead of Potassium Dichromate--both steps taken to make them more environmentally friendly.

I like the results I am getting with the new stocks and solutions.  I get much better contrast on the new system than I ever got before.  And the new PXR in the new chemistry is one-stop faster 100/80 as opposed to 50/40.  It is a "drop in" replacement, meaning that you dump your old solutions in those two steps and refill with the new stuff, and you're good to go.  The problem I had with the bleach is: the mix instructions on the package get you to the place where you were with the old orange stuff as it came from Kodak.  Then, for tank solution it is further diluted 3:1, and 2:1 for replenisher.

When I used it straight at first, and the residual acid in the emulsion impeded the activity of the redeveloper, giving uneven streaks, depending on how much was neutralized/washed out in the clearing bath and wash steps between the bleach and redeveloper.

Janet Tiller and Rich Carlson from Kodak are planning to come by and check up on our use of the new system sometime in the near future.

That's my experience with B/W Reversal.  I think there was a misunderstanding between your list friend and the Kodak guy--there is indeed a first developer in the new system!

"The new Process D-94A Developer is Cat # 882-2652--that's a 5-gallon cube container which will make 20 gallons of tank solution or 15 gallons of replenisher.  He may also need the new starter, which is Cat # 136-8364.

I don't use developer starter, as that's the way Don Holland (I think that was his name) used it before we got the Jamieson machine.  It's a tube-style processor, and the idea with it is, use machine strength solution and turn it over rapidly, and you don't need starter.  It's simpler that way, and it may save a little money.  When I was using the A-11, though, I did use starter and the more concentrated replenisher.  Depends on the way his machine is set up.  He should use the new chemistry in the same fashion as the old, and I think he will be pleased with the results."

Hope this helps.

Wade K. Ramsey, DP
Dept. of Cinema & Video Production
Bob Jones University