Re: Eclair Cameras: film processing b&w reversal

eric:

Our lab processes Kodak B&W reversal for our students' projects.  I'll check with the lab man about the new process chemicals.  There has to be some sort of first developer, otherwise there is nothing to redevelop.

The new process increases the speed of Plus-X Rev. from 50 to 100, a mixed blessing, depending on where you are shooting (interior or exterior.)

I'll let you know what our lab man says, but I see in the lab a cubitainer marked 'B&W Reversal First Developer Replenisher'.
Wade K. Ramsey, DP
Dept. of Cinema & Video Production
Bob Jones University
Greenville, SC 29614

eric@earthid.org 1/3/04 11:40:14 AM >>>
anyone here process the eclair footage themselves? if so, perhaps you could enlighten me. i rencetly contacted kodak and asked them to help me with a purchase that concerned processing b&w reversal tri and plus x films. as such, i was sold the following:

-rapid fixer w/hardner(parts A & B, both liquids. 1.38 gallons makes 5 gallons) -reversal bleach and replinisher(parts A -4 pounds & B -2 pounds, both powders x 2 bottles each, and to mix with part C liquid 1.24 gallons x 4 bottles to make 20 us gallons)
-reversal clearing bath and replinisher(5 gallons to make 15 gallons)
-reversal redevoloper and replinisher(liquid, 5 gallon makes 15 gallons)

am i missing something here? these are the NEW chemicals/cat#'s from kodak. however, from all the online instructions i have read reg arding processing b&w reversal, all of them make reference to a 'first developer' chemical. is this no longer required with the new chemicals? or are all the sales reps at kodak completely ignorant of the products their company sells(i have had sales reps tell me they do not sell k-40, as well as other dumbfounding statements that have given me indication the sales people at kodak have absolutely no clue what they are selling)? regarding these chemicals, when i had ordered, i had used the old cat#'s from their website:
cat# 1866284 developer starter 1 qt. for making 15 gallons
cat# 1866268 first developer replinisher cat# 1866201 redevolper cat# 1866227 reversl bath and replinisher cat# 1866243 reversal bleach cat# 1464114 fixer solution min qty 4.

but what i actually received are the items i first mentioned. when i contacted kodak, they told me that my original order for the above cat#'s could not be filled, so they replaced them with the new chemicals. i contacted my sales rep again, and asked if she was certain, or if she could ask someone that knew, if i received everything i must have in order to process tri and plus-x to reversal. she emailed me back and said yes, i have everything. does any here know for certain? making long distance calls to kodak have proven more trouble then they are worth. what makes this particularly frustrating, is the chemicals must be shipped ground. so to get them down here into mexico, i had to first ship them to orange county, and then have someone drve them across the border into mexico, and ship them from within mexico to me. so it is a process to say the least, and dependant on having someone willing to drive them across the border for me. so if i am indeed missing a chemical, i will most likely let out a loud groan and mumble some curse words.

eric m jarvies
cabo san lucas, baja california sur.  mexico