Re: Eclair Cameras: R16 v S16 to DVD

Mark wrote:

DVDs are very high resolution even today, and when HDTV is the ONLY
type of TV broadcasting in just a few years (I think by 2007)...<
Not to argue with your general premise, but there is no indication so
far that HDTV will be the ONLY type of TV broadcasting.  DTV  16:9 WILL
be, HDTV by some broadcasters, standard 480 by others, due to the
advantage of being able to broadcast more channels in the same
bandwidth. (DTV isn't necessarily HDTV, although HDTV is DTV.)  HDTV is
taking off like last year's fireworks so far, the enthusiasm just isn't
there in the marketplace.
But again, start with the best resolution you can.  In my opinion, R16
will be fine for the project in question, but you have to decide what
future you think it may have.  A few years ago, who would have believed
how popular old B&W films and even 60's and 70's sitcoms would become in
this day and age.  Content will usually win over technical quality, but
we do want to strive for both.

Wade K. Ramsey, DP
Dept. of Cinema & Video Production
Bob Jones University