Re: Eclair Cameras:

Consider buying a mini-DV or Digital8 camcorder instead of a DV
recorder/LCD....<

We just had the AZ Spectrum video assist installed on our ACL, but really haven't had time to test it. However, it has auto white balance, so you won't be able to make any definitive judgments about color or exposure from its output. Also, you'll want to have the S16 conversion done first.
We also have been using a Sony Watchman DV recorder/monitor with the video assist on our A camera, an Arri SRII.  The only reason for doing this is that we are filming in a hilly forest area with a limited crew and decided that lugging around the 8045 monitor and battery wasn't worth the superior quality.  The LCD monitor on the Watchman gives only enough image quality to determine what the camera is seing, in regards to composition.  And this is being fed from a CEI IV camera, which is an excellent unit with white balance that can be set for tungsten, auto, or daylight.  Forget this combo if video image quality is important.

Wade K. Ramsey, DP
Dept. of Cinema & Video Production
Bob Jones University
Greenville, SC 29614