From: "eric jarvies" <eric@earthid.org>
To: "Eclair Cameras" <EclairACL@topica.com>
Sent: Wednesday, August 06, 2003 10:09 PM
Subject: Eclair Cameras: converting old 50 foot mag load cameras to
S-16-response-cnc sug

hello,

i was thinking how nice it would be if someone started a repository with
cnc 'g-code' that relate to particular cameras.  now that people can
purchase mini mills and mini lathes with full cnc controls, it is reasonable
to assume if someone has one of these machines, and a camera of a specific
model, like the eclair acl, and wanted to perform a modification of sorts
that has already been performed/completed by someone else, all they should
simply have to do is locate the applicable script, load up a piece of metal
or plastic into the mill or lathe, and download the g-code, plug it into
their cnc software, and press print.  and voila!  the part would be made to
exact spec.

i am just now getting into milling and lathe use, and will hopefully be
receiving my machines in the next couple of weeks.  as such, some of the
first things i would like to make would be a c-mount to m-42 mount extension
tube for use with my s8 camera and telescope.  because i have neither used a
mill or lathe, and will need to spend time learning, what better way to
learn then with someone you need, like the above mentioned part.  it would
be EXTREMELY cool if i could go to a webside and download code that would
allow me to make such a part, with detailed instructions, tool sizes,
material type, g-code, steps in the process, testing and measuring for
accuracy, etc.  this way i would not have to figure out all the math behind
making the part .. i would simply need to modify the g-code to my own
specifications(like the lenght of the tube, for example), and insert the
piece of metel, and press go/print.  now that would be ideal.  so rest
assured, all of the parts i eventually!
  end up making for my own camera modifications, i will no doubt make
publically available the instructions and g-code so anyone else can either
take and use it themselves, or provide it to their local cnc machine shop
and have them do it.  either way, it would be a walk in the park compared to
the alternative.  and it would also be EXTREMELY AFFORDABLE!!  would anyone
agree with me on this point?  heck, just like all the mount converters ... a
basic library of g-code for such items that now cost $200-600. from someone,
where you yourself could purchase a $5.00 chunk of aluminum, and pay $50.00
to your local machine house to simply print what is already spelled out for
them.

eric

--
eric jarvies