Re: Eclair Cameras: AZ Spectrum video assist

Sorry not to clarify that. Our Arri SRII's video assist beamsplitter is 80/20, meaning that 80% of the light goes to the finder, 20% to the video camera. Most are 70/30, so the finder is a bit dimmer. Ours was done by Utterbach in San Francisco, and that is one of their special features.
I'm concerned that the 50/50 split on the ACL will result in a finder image that is pretty dim when filming with faster stocks, like 7218, which we've been using a lot of lately.  That will be 1 stop dimmer, as opposed to 1/5 stop dimmer on the Arri.

Wade K. Ramsey, DP
Dept. of Cinema & Video Production
Bob Jones University
Greenville, SC 29614

rockanroll@everyday.com 7/22/03 8:13:16 AM >>>
What do you mean when you say "ours is 80/20"?

Has anyone tried the AZ Spectrum video assist conversion?  Andrew
Zorawski tells me the beamsplitter is 50/50, which seems severe.  The
beamsplitter on assists for Arri SRs is usually 70/30 and ours is 80/20.
 Our ACL finder screen was laser brightened, so when the lens is down
about f/8 the corners get fairly dark and you have to keep your eye
centered in the finder.  A stop less light in the finder wouldn't be
welcome then, I would think.

Anyone try this conversion?