To: <eclairacl@topica.com>
Sent: Friday, July 25, 2003 5:30 PM
Subject: Eclair Cameras: My Message to Kodak

I sent the following e-mail to Kodak:

Dear sirs,

Your website contains the following description of the
Eclair cameras:

Éclair:
Once the "State of the Art" in lightweight precision
cameras, these machines do not have the popularity that
they enjoyed in the US in the 1960s and 1970s. All
Éclair Cameras will run 1R. The Éclair NPR is designed for
400' loads. The ACL Model has 200' magazines for 200'
Daylight Spools (NOT A-Minima), which could
be a challenge if we no longer offer this spec. Few are in
use in the US.

Many of the statements here are not true especially the
one about "few are in use in the US."  First of all, the
Eclair ACL is experiencing a revival among independent
filmmakers and is exteremely popular as evidenced from
simply typing the keywords "Eclair ACL" into the google
search engine.  There are many informative websites such
as the ones listed below:

 www.eclairacl.com/index.shtml

 www.geocities.com/erkanumut2/acl.html

 http://members.aol.com/Super16ACL/

  The ACL is also easily and affordably converted to the
futureproof Super 16 as evidenced in the following website:

  www.lesbosher.co.uk/Eclair%20ACL%20Page.html

   There are lots of accessories made for this camera
such as a video assist and a barney:

    http://hometown.aol.com/azspectrum/

    http://www.warrenyeager.com/barney/

   In addition I would like to address the following
statements: "The Eclair NPR is designed for 400' loads.
The ACL Model has 200' magazines for 200' Daylight Spools
(NOT A-Minima), which could be a challenge if we no longer
offer this spec."  First of all, the way these two
sentences are worded subtly implies that the Eclair ACL is
incapable of shooting readily available 400' foot loads.
In actuality, the versions 1.5 and 2 are equipped with a
heavy duty motor which permits the use of 400 foot
magazines.  In addition, the original ACL is able to pull
400 foot loads when using English designed magazines.  The
second sentence concerning the A-Minima loads is not
true.  Any 200 foot magazine for the Eclair ACL will take
these loads provided they have the core adaptor plates on
the feed and takeup sides.  Through snapping off the
plastic flanges in a black bag, and inserting the tip of
the film into the opposite takeup side, an ACL user can
use these A-Minima loads with a 200' mag.

Lastly, I would like to mention that there is a list forum
for the Eclair cameras:

http://www.topica.com/lists/EclairACL

A couple other forum members have written Kodak asking you
to change the description on your website.  They mentioned
that you did not reply to their posting.  I did not like
hearing that, and will not purchase any more Kodak motion
picture film and will buy Fuji until the misinformation on
your website is changed to the correct information.  I
usually buy about $300.00 worth of film each year.  I
would like to make it known that it is unethical to
misrepresent a movie camera, even if it was made 30 years
ago by a company that went out of business in the 1980's.
This camera is one of the most ergonomic and versatile
filming machines ever built.  It rivals the A-Minima.  Its
popularity on the web grows every day.  Please change your
website to reflect the issues I have mentioned.

Sincerely,
Michael Welle
Independent Filmmaker
and Eclair ACL owner