Re: Eclair Cameras: Kodak's Future

A few things to consider:

1.  The installed base of 35 mm projection systems in the world.  Especially
those countries who are unlikely to sink the investment in digital
projection.  Bollywood still produces more films than Hollywood, and the
theatres in India show 35mm prints, and seem likely to for some time.  Maybe
not Kodak, but somebody's gonna make film for them.  I realize this is not
camera but print stock --  but the need of such, I think, is likely to keep
the technology going.  In addition, how many HDTV standards are there out
there?  It seems 35mm will continue to be the universal currency in motion
picture images for some time.

2.  Kodak's not the only manufacturer in the world.  Fuji's still out there.
And other, smaller companies like Ilford may enter the fray again.  It seems
that as Kodak has neglected somewhat it's traditional darkroom products
(chemicals, paper, etc.) Ilford has stepped in with some great quality
products.  Perhaps the same will occur with MP film.

3.  Everyone talks about the image quality of film, but few talk about the
elegant way it degrades -- which is one of the great strengths of film.  I
don't just mean archival stability, but the way it can be manipulated in
unique ways.  It can be very gritty and grainy, or smooth and pristine.  It
can be really overexposed.  It can be drawn on, scratched, tinted, and
painted.  It can even be handprocessed in buckets for a unique look -- Check
out the title sequence of the tv drama "The Practice" to get an idea what
this looks like.  Try doing that with an HDTV camera.  Film has a unique
look in a lot of ways.  I think this will always be in demand.

I don't know how Kodak will fare in the upcoming decade.  But I have
confidence MP film -- and new and interesting stocks -- will be produced by
somebody.

julian williamson