From: Hans <hansfilm@algonet.se>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 09:30:45 +0100
To: EclairACL@topica.com
Subject: Re: Eclair Cameras: To cooke or not to Cooke?

About the HD intermediate, i know about 2K and how it works. What i want to
know is if anyone ever did and HD 1028 24p intermediate and then to 35.
this is much cheaper and could somehow work.
Does anyone have experienece on this?
thanks,
Fulgencio

Yes, some of the many Scandinavian productions on Super-16 to 35 mm with
digital Intermediate have been don over HD-video 1028x1920 24p and the
HD-video format D6. The difference between 2K and HD-video is very little in
definition, but HD-video is a fix  format 16:9 (1:1.78) and HD 24p is a
compressed format 3:1:1 (2k is RGB 4:4:4). Then you have the HD-video format
D6 (Voodo from Philips/Thomson) with no compression, but  HD-video 4:2:2.

You can save a lot of money making your 35 mm negative from S-16 by using HD
video format instead of 2K. With HD-video the transfer is made in real time,
24 fps., but for 2k you can only transfer 6 fps. You will get a little
better colors and clarity  in the picture with 2k, but HD-video is the
second best.

Hans Hansson, FSF, Sweden