Re: Eclair Cameras: To cooke or not to Cooke?

Hi Hans,
Thanks again for your knowledge about kinetals.
I have an arrri standard to CA mount made by Les and the lens are not rotating. In fact i got them to be able to pull focus. Les go some gears on them, and all i need now is the follow focus.
Getting new lenses is out of my posibilities and the rental companies i have contacted won`t rent lenses unless i get their camera too.
About the HD intermediate, i know about 2K and how it works. What i want to know is if anyone ever did and HD 1028 24p intermediate and then to 35.
this is much cheaper and could somehow work.
Does anyone have experienece on this?
thanks,
Fulgencio
  Re: Eclair Cameras: To cooke or not to Cooke?   03-10-25 19.51, skrev
Fulgencio Martínez på rockanroll@everyday.com följande:

 Q. Is there anyone in the forum with experience on shooting S-16 with
Kinetal and going to 35mm?

 A. When Rune Ericson, FSF, the inventor of Super-16,  made the
first S-16 films back in 1970 he was using Cooke Kinetal lenses. 12 mm
and longer focal length covers S-16, but not the 9 mm. The Kinetals are
today old lenses, sharp but with low contrast. If you shall use them
for video or do digital post to 35 mm you can increase the contrast in
the telecine, but not get rid of flare and reflections. An other
problem with the old Kinetal lenses is the lens mount. The Arri
standard mounts on Kinetals is rotating and this make it very hard to
pull focus.

 The new lenses made today by Cooke, Elite, Zeiss and Canon have a much
better anti reflex coating, giving you a higher contrast and less
flare. I love the Cooke Varo-Kinetal zoom lens 10,8 to 52 mm, T 2,8,
The latest model have a very good coating and high contrast, but Cooke
is not making the 16 mm zooms any longer.

 Don´t spend you money on old lenses. If you shall spend a lot of money
on using  16 mm film and get the best result out of this
technology you shall use the best lenses. Zeiss High Speed and the
Russian Elite are the only new prime lenses for 16 mm on the market,
except for some wide angle lenses from OpTex and Century Optics. Canon
make good zoom lenses and also Zeiss and Angenieux have zoom lenses for
S-16.

 Q. I wonder if anyone had experience on going through a HD
intermediate from s16 to 35mm. Any advice?
 Thanks

 A. A lot S-16 to 35 mm productions in Scandinavian are made over
digital Intermediate with excellent result. A company in Copenhagen,
Digital Film Lab, have a lot of experience woking this way. They use
the Spirit telecine and record in 2k on hard disc. The new 35 mm
negative is exposed in a Arri Laser Recorder.  You will find
advice and more info at:
http://www.digitalfilmlab.com/chestnut/phpbin/pagenew.php?lay=main,doc:S
ERVICE;art,article:DIGITALINTER

 All the best