Eclair Cameras: My two cents: Relative Quality of Film Cameras

I have a rarity amongst 16mm cameras, a Beaulieu with rock solid registration.  The vertical and horizontal movement on my Beaulieu is actually less than that on my ACL or Arri M, both of which are in good registration.  However, when viewed side by side, it becomes apparent that the Beaulieu footage has a "nervous" feel to it - due to breathing - charteristic of the R16, which I find unpleasant.

I think that the importance of the registration of different camera models is underestimated. The ACL and Arri S have similar image stability, but the SR 1 and 2 have a steadiness that, I think, to the viewer on a subliminal level, reads as "quality".  The SR 3 has a stability that I find breath-taking.

A cinematograher recently said here that he had never been taken out of a film by registration.  I agree, but I also find it easier to get into a film if it has solid registration.

The ACL is a great bargain, but I think that it is more than just the lens and film stock which makes a camera state-of-the-art.