Re: Eclair Cameras: Pelican Cases

Hi Michael,

I have a 1650 Pelican case that I use for my Éclair Cameflex. I also use
Pelican cases for my intervelometer and other gear ­ they are great cases.
Just traveled to Hong Kong, Thailand and Nepal with all my gear and
everything was in Pelican cases except my motion control unit and that was
the only case that got damaged (the motion control was fine though).  I even
trekked extensively through the Himalayas with the case. Fortunately I had a
lot of porters helping to carry all the weight but the gear was up and
running every time I needed it.

I did a shoot last year though where I had some trouble with a case. I was
shooting in a crowd of about 800,000 people. I had the 1650 case, my
Cameflex, lens, loaded mags etc packed inside, a heavy duty tripod strapped
over the case, plus batteries, intervelometer etc (almost 200 lbs) and was
using this ³wheeled case² as my dolly (I know, silly me). I ended up
dragging this unit with all this weight piled on top of it  for what ended
up ­ miles. After a while the bearings in the wheels started heating up (due
to the weight) and one wheel eventually seized. Once I finally set up for
the perfect shot the police threatened to arrest me on the spot if I did not
leave immediately, back the way I came. After a ³debate² which I did not win
I was forced to ³drag² my gear out of there and with the bearing gone, the
wheel melted away and I was dragging the case on concrete as the truss that
holds the wheels was quickly grinding away. All the gear was too heavy
carry, the cops are hot on my heals and I had to find a new set up as quick
as I could. Needless to say, the next day I examined the case and found the
case still fully functional but I¹d never be able to use the wheels or even
replace them for there was nothing left to attach them to. I called up
Pelican and they replaced my damaged case with a brand new one. Their cases
are 100% guaranteed ­ and they sure stand by that promise (I can¹t say that
about many other companies I¹ve ever encountered). The moral of the story -
contact Pelican and get that handle replaced.

All the best,
Dale