Re: RE: Eclair Cameras: RE: Light Meter Issues

Eric In response to your last posting. I will be happy to share my techniques and repair data with you any time. As to building a light meter for the ACL. I really dont think it is necessary.
----- Original Message -----
From: eric jarvies <eric@earthid.org>
Date: Friday, July 11, 2003 0:32 am
Subject: RE: Eclair Cameras: RE: Light Meter Issues

>... Les Bosher, an ACL egineer for 40years does a super16 conversion that retains the light meter and has a mod that also retains the original shutter angle. > Sounds like Eric is an expert in this field after 6 months....
hello,

no, not even close to being an expert. but i do have a mind, and i like to apply it whenever possible. and for some reason i have taken to film cameras and seem to have a knack for them. i have only recently disected a gsmo, which was a completely differant machine compared the the beaulieu, and their unique shutter assembly system. but what remains the same with all these cameras is the fact all of the were hand made. and when you are dealing with hand made devices like these, things tend to be fairly straight forward and logicol for the mind/person to comprehend.

but what has dssapointed more then ANYTHING in this motion picture camera service/repair/modification nicth industry is the LACK of information sharing on the schematics end of of things. in other words, when someone figures out how to do something, instead of documenting it and SHARING it, they end up providing a product and service for it, thus turning it into a money making venture. and i have no problems with this. but i think it is also fair to say if someone wants to do these things on their own, it would be nice to be involved with a community that promotes the sharing of this type of information. regarding my first beaulieu 4008ZM super8 camera i purchased 6 months back, i wanted to do the service myself, and i also wanted to repaint it, modify it, and so on. and the forums i found that had people who were experienced with such items, offered to help ... which was to say, send me your camera and for 'x' amount of money i will do the work. none of these people emailed me schematics or instructions or anthing helpful. so i just said heck with it and went about doing it myself. well, until this point, everyone on that particular forum was under the misguided perception that the beaulieu camera were diffcult to work on, and one should never take it apart unless they were an experienced beaulieu tech, and on and on. needless ot say, and long story longer, i took apart the camera and documented the process by text and with photos. but instead of taking apart to service it, it took EVERY single piece apart and indexed them accoridngly. i posted a number of how to guides on forums, and anyone that emails me i send them advanced instructions on how to perform more complex tasks according to their request ... for FREE. i have documented the gsmo part by part, and now am doing the same for the eclair npr, and soon the acl. so like i said, i will post a link for all of you that will have instructons and photos and schematics, and explainations and footnotes, so issues can be resolved yourself ... or at least give the ablity to make an informed decision of whether of not the task is too difficult for you, in which case you cna then send the camera off to one of the few people that provide the geat service i have read about here, and on other sites. consider my approach the por mans solution, or the remote mans solution(i live in a place that makes it too difficult to send my items out, so a few years ago i started fixing everything myself, and cant seem to stop now).

now regardng the meter, if you really want to have a NICE meter in your ACL ... purchase a cine spot meter, take it apart, mount the sensor on a prism/beamsplitter inside of the camera(again, i have not yet taken the acl apart, so i speak in theory), and take the handheld spot meter dioptre electronics and mount those inside of your camera's dioptre, mount the menu controls on the side of hte body, and bingo! a built in, modern cine spot meter through the eyepice. these old camera are just aching to have modern devices installed ...i took a fiber optic image conduit, attached it to the stock beaulieu r16 light sensor prism allotment area(i removed the sensor obviously), and then drilled a hole out the control side, ran the fiber to the body hole, and crimp-mounted it stationary so it would not move, then attached a fiber optic taper with a 3.1:1 magnification, which is now ready for a 1/2" CCD to be attached directly, after which the camera will have its own seperate video feed without messing with the viewfinder. if i replaced the stock beamsplitter inside the camera, i could arrange the real estate inside to accomodate the original light sensor, which would then take the camera back to stock. i will do that, but i need ot buy that particular beamsplitter ... i used what i had for the time beign t see if it would work. and it did. so i trust there will be plenty of fun options available for the npr and acl cameras ... i can hardly wait.

peace and cheer!

eric

--
eric martin jarvies sr
cabo san lucas, bcs mexico cp 23410

>>>NOTICE<<<
ANY AND ALL WRITTEN TEXT EXCHANGED IN THIS EMAIL THREAD MAY BE REPRODUCED IN ANY FORM FOR ANY REASON WHATSOEVER, INCLUDING NON AND FOR PROFIT, FOR THE PURPOSES OF MY OWN INFORMATION EXCHANGE AND PUBLICALLY AVAILABLE KNOWLEDGE-BASE / FORUM / JOURNAL, LOCATED AT HTTP://WWW.EARTHID.ORG OR ANY OTHER INTERNET SITE OR FORM OF PRINT/DIGITAL/ANALOG MEDIA, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO; VHS, DVD, FILM, PUBLICATION(BOOK, MAGAZINE, ADVERTISEMENT), AND AUDIO. RESPECTIVE CREDIT, COPYRIGHT, TRADEMARK, SERVICEMARK, OR PATENT WILL BE MADE PART THEREOF ACCORDINGLY. PLEASE REFRAIN FROM SLANDER OR HERESAY, AND CONSIDER ANY SUCH QUOTE(S) I MAY USE FROM THIS COMMUNICATION THREAD A DIRECT REFLECTION OF YOU AND/OR YOUR POSITION AS IT RELATES TO THE DISUSSED SUBJECT MATTER AND YOUR OVERALL OPINION(S) ACCORDINGLY AND RESPECTFULLY, UNLESS OTHERWISE STATED. I GIVE FULL PERMISSION FOR YOU TO EXPRESS THE EXACT SAME RIGHTS IN RETROSPECT.