RE: Eclair Cameras: More ACL problems

Hi August

Thanks for some straight answers. More info for you:

a) it was around 60ft fogged, not 2 ft. It was the tail 60ft, so like a daylight load fog, but 30feet at least, not 2ft. Stock was 7274 from a factory sealed can.

b) maybe the loop was not long enough (I have a CM3 and set the loop
on the ACL visually, inserting finger etc. I've since downloaded a manual). Could explain the scratching but not the fogging.

c) where exactly are the problem areas for the lids? I don't see any kind of light leak problem potential area.

I've been a shooter since 1975 and have built my own (view) cameras and coated my own (glass) plates. I'm not a tech but I"m pretty camera savvy. This one's got me stumped.

Thanks again August. If you're in the LA area I may have the camera sent to you for a checkup...

Cheers
Chris

august loessberg wrote:

Chris
In the twenty seven years I have been shooting film I have never heard of a
film can leaking light unless some one actually perforated it.  Daylight
spools are designed to be loaded in very subdued light. If you are loading
your film in a shaded area and outside a change bag, you should count on
fogging at least the first two feet of each roll. If that is the case and
that is where your fog is the problem is you. Change your MO.
As for scratches. I am a camera tech and my experience has shown the some 70-90% of film scratches occur in the gate not the mag. If the mag rollers
are clean and the mag is loaded properly, ( sometimes a novice loads the
loop wrong) there should be no place a mag can scratch the film.  Mag
rollers that are freely rolling cannot scratch film, that is why it is
unnecessary to modify mag rollers when upgrading to S16.
Check your gate with a piece of film about two inches long. Subdue the claw
and rub the film back and forth in the gate.  Check the gate with a
magnifier to find any burrs or irregularities.