Re: Very Nice!

Eclair ACL Discussion and Support

--------------------------- ListBot Sponsor --------------------------
Start Your Own FREE Email List at http://www.listbot.com/links/joinlb

Hi Chris,
Thanks for the nice comments.
Huh?  The problem you are having with your Angie
viewfinder is puzzling. Never seen that one before.
What did the lens tech say was the problem? Is he
familiar with Angenieux finders? Sounds like you had
good luck with George at OEH, you might ask him about
it? Those viewfinders just pop off so you won't spend
a fortune on shipping just to get a diagnosis. He is
also familiar with the HD144 Super16 kits and can
install it for you. Bernie O'Doherty at
Laserbrighten.com is also doing an HD144 upgrade for
another person on the List and we are waiting to hear
how it turns out. I've also conversed with Les Bosher
in England and he is a versatile tech with good rates.
Others on the List recommend him highly. He might be
able to come up with something for your Zeiss.
I'll probably be moving the ACL List to Topica.com
over the next week or so. They have a very nice format
that has the benefits of an open forum with the
interaction of an email list. We do also have an
archive of all past postings. Just log on to
Listbot.com and click on the archive link.
Keep us updated on the viewfinder problem and how it
goes on the nature doc as well.
Cheers,
Ray

ps. I wish I had something to say about the Angie
12-240 but I've never used one. Sounds like a hunka,
hunka burning glass though:)

--- Chris Bell <cbell00@home.com> wrote:

I just finished two large projects shooting with a
French made ACL 1.5  I
was very nervous on the both projects until I saw
the footage in the Rank
transfer.  It was perfect. The registration was
tight and clean.

We sent the camera to George at Optical Electro in
the US for an overhaul
and tested it out with a few rolls.  In the past we
have rented an Arri SR
but on these project we decided to purchase a camera
so we would have the
freedom to shoot when wanted too. However we
couldn't afford and Arri SR so
I felt like we were taking a big risk shooting with
a camera that is no
longer manufactured and has limited repair
facilities and spare parts.  So I
feel pretty lucky that the risk has paid off.  The
camera runs very quietly
and never has eaten or damaged film.

I do have a problem now however... I have a newer
Angeniuex orientable
viewfinder and if the camera is laid on it's side
over night, one of the
elements drifts out of alignment so that when you
look thru the view finder
only half of the image can be seen.  However, if you
set the camera up
right, especially in a warm spot (i.e. in the sun),
the problem disappears.
So I know something's loose because the prism or
internal element slides
back into place.  However I have taken it to a
highly qualified lens tech
twice and he seemed to zero in on the problem very
quickly and fix it.
However it never lasts! The problem quickly arises
again.   Is there anyone
out there that you folks can recommend?

Also, I live in Colorado and have a nature
documentary planned and would
like to know if the Angeniuex 12-240 is a good lens
- provided it's been
taken good care of???

I'm also interested in the Super 16 kit you mention,
however, I'm a little
nervous about the conversion.  I've gone to
Super16ACL site but have not
felt real comfortable mainly due to the lack of
recommendations of good
technician???   Also from what I understand my very
sharp 10-100 T*(i.e.
T2.8) would not be convertible to super16?

Finally I would prefer an online forum if there was
a history of prior
postings.

My hats off to whomever created this ACL email
service. I believe this is
the only place to facilitate information on this
camera system and it's much
appreciated.

PS. I will send Tobin my interest in their new motor
too.

Thanks all!

Chris Bell
Colorado, USA