From: Marc Syp <mpsyp@hotmail.com>
To: <EclairACL@listbot.com>
Sent: Monday, July 09, 2001 6:01 PM
Subject: Re: Very Nice!

Eclair ACL Discussion and Support

--------------------------- ListBot Sponsor --------------------------
Start Your Own FREE Email List at http://www.listbot.com/links/joinlb

From: "Julian Williamson" <julian3rd@earthlink.net>

manufacturer's lenses Zeiss 10-100 T2, Cooke 9-50, Canon 8-64, As well as
the Zeiss 10-100 T/3.1 or 3.3 you mentioned in your post.  In comparison,
the older vintage Angenieux lenses do not have the contrast or sharpness of
the newer generation of lenses, neither is it as sharp or contrasty as the
similar-age 10-100 T3.1/3.3.

How much does a Zeiss 10-100 T3.1 go for?

Also, does modern Nikon glass blow the old Angenieux lenses out of the
water?  A C-mount to Nikon adapter is relatively cheap and I would certainly
consider buying a new Nikon lens for use on both my Nikon FA and my first
Eclair ACL, which I should be receiving within the next few weeks.

P.S.  I was really happy to find this discussion forum, please don't shut it
down!  :)

Marc S.

There is a visible difference in telecine, as well as print.  Another thing
about "softer" lenses, believe it or not, the image looks grainier than an
image shot through a newer, sharper lens.  Nevertheless, the old
Angenieux's
have a certain indescribable look and feel -- I shot a cinema-verite style
B&W documentary with an old Angenieux a couple a years ago, and the lens
worked really well with that piece.

Good luck with your camera.  I've shot with the Arri SR's, as well, and I
like toting the ACL around much better...

Julian Williamson

----------
>From: "Chris Bell" <cbell00@home.com>
>To: "Eclair ACL Discussion and Support" <EclairACL@listbot.com>
>Subject: Re: Very Nice!
>Date: Sat, Jul 7, 2001, 5:28 PM
>

> Eclair ACL Discussion and Support
>
> --------------------------- ListBot Sponsor --------------------------
> Start Your Own FREE Email List at http://www.listbot.com/links/joinlb
>
> I just finished two large projects shooting with a French made ACL 1.5
> was very nervous on the both projects until I saw the footage in the
Rank
> transfer.  It was perfect. The registration was tight and clean.
>
> We sent the camera to George at Optical Electro in the US for an
overhaul
> and tested it out with a few rolls.  In the past we have rented an Arri
SR
> but on these project we decided to purchase a camera so we would have
the
> freedom to shoot when wanted too. However we couldn't afford and Arri SR
so
> I felt like we were taking a big risk shooting with a camera that is no
> longer manufactured and has limited repair facilities and spare parts.
So I