Re: Behind the lens filters

Eclair ACL Discussion and Support

--------------------------- ListBot Sponsor --------------------------
Start Your Own FREE Email List at http://www.listbot.com/links/joinlb

Re: Behind the lens filtersI have used the Behind-the-lens ND filters in the past. However, I haven't used them for a while because of my fear of affecting the image on film. Has anyone done a side by side test of shooting a resolution chart with the filter in and out? I'd like to know if the filter softens the image?
At any rate Kodak does not make the Wratten filters any more so I'd like to know where folks are getting them?

Chris Bell
Advanced Media Services, Inc.
(970)686-1107
chris@rolling.net
www.rolling.net
----- Original Message ----- From: Julian Williamson To: Eclair ACL Discussion and Support ; EclairACL@listbot.com Sent: Tuesday, July 17, 2001 12:44 AM
 Subject: Re: Behind the lens filters

Eclair ACL Discussion and Support

 ListBot Sponsor
 Sopranos fanatics, this one is for you. Tony Soprano's autographed Suburban is available for purchase on eBayTM. James Gandolfini has personally signed the vehicle. Find this and over 800 other Sopranos items for sale on eBay.
 http://www.bcentral.com/listbot/ebay

Regarding Behind-the-lens filters, I am one of those who disagree with Mark. I've shot thousands of feet of footage with a filter in the slot, and have had not problem.
 You MUST keep the gelatine scrupulously clean:  I have 3 holders:  the one in the camera, which is generally empty, and two that fit into the old-style handle.  Keep them in the handle, and they remain dust-free.  Be sure not to get fingerprints on the filter when you cut them out.  I use cotton editors gloves for this purpose.  (If you do get a fingerprint on, throw it away.  Don't attempt to clean it)  Though I've never tried it, the rules say to never stack filters in the holder...(never more than 1 piece of gelatine)

 I use Kodak's Wratten filters, which are consistent, thin, and made for this purpose.  Do not use thicker lighting gels.  Replace the gelatine frequently.  They're cheap.

 Mostly, I use 85's for tungsten film to daylight correction.  I also use a series of ND filters when I want to keep the lens aperture in a consistent position through changes in lighting, to control depth of field, or to keep the lens aperture in the best position out-of-doors (instead of f/16, I'd like to shoot at 5.6 or 4 maybe...)

 I've also used combos, like using a gelatine filter in the holder, plus grads or other filters on the matte box out front.  Again, no problem.

 Julian