Re: The ACL has arrived!

P.S.  I hope nobody minds if I ask a bunch of stupid questions in the near
future.  :)

Marc S.

...and here we go!

I started to thread up one of my two 200' magazines and encountered something strange. On the take-up side, under the bottom rollers (the ones that snap out) there is a small spring loaded arm with a claw on it. In the manual there is no such arm and claw mechanism, which stops the film from advancing when the loops are not properly formed. There is no way to lock the claw open and I can only suspect that it is some sort of mechanism to catch the film if it loses loop during a shot. But wouldn't that tear the sprocket holes? I have one 200' magazine with the claw and one without. My 400' magazine also has the claw mechanism. What is it for?

Which brings me to my next question. I'm not sure I am forming the loop correctly. I formed the loop as is shown in the manual (in the magazine with no claw mechanism) but it is hard to tell when exactly I have created the correct length. I also have a hard time figuring out how to make the bottom loop have one more frame than the top loop as it says in the manual.

Finally, my magazines came without take-up core adapters, as I have seen some people on this list discuss in the past. What kind of cores and adapters do I need? So far I have only threaded film on 100' daylight spools, which I assume is noisy compared to core-loaded film. Any leads are appreciated.

Thanks!

Marc S.