Re: The ACL has arrived!

From: Wade Ramsey <wramsey@bju.edu>
To: EclairACL@topica.com
Subject: Re: The ACL has arrived!
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 11:29:56 -0400

You are a wimp!  The ACL is one of the lightest, easiest to hold pro
cameras.

Yes, I know.  :)

Which one do you have, the English (so-called ACL-1), the
"French", or the last model, the ACL-II (also French, of course)?
Which motor does it have?  Single speed (original on the English
model), the same motor CP converted with variable speeds, or the Fr.
variable speed motor?  What lens mounts?

I have the English, 24fps motor, 2 x 200' Mags, 1 x 400' English mag, Eclair TS/Cameflex mount, standard Angenieux (non-orientable) viewfinder, NP1B battery system, and the powergrip accessory (very cool). I got it for pretty darn cheap.

The "claw" mechanism you're describing produces a warning signal when
you lose the lower loop.  The film sprockets drag over it and it makes
a ratcheting sound.  It doesn't tear up the film.

Okay.

... <snip> Or, easier, simply put your forefinger on the loop, against
the pressure plate, and slide the entire loop up and down until you
can see that the bottom loop is clearing that warning "claw" you've
been worrying about.

Thanks for the description!  I think my loading was just fine then.

You do need those core adapters.

OK.

Have fun, but be careful with the BTL filter slot.  It is very
useful, particularly when you need filters for lenses of various
diameters (one gel serves all).  But if you are careless in inserting
the gel holder and it somehow gets out of its channel, you will damage
a very expensive (and nearly irreplaceable) mirror.

Thanks... Oh, by the way. My filter holder does not have a gel in it right now. Is it necessary to have a clear gel in for proper back-focus? Or is it possible that Optical Electro House collimated my cam for use without the gel?

Thanks.

Have fun!  It's a good camera if you take care of it, and very
versatile.

I certainly will take care of it. Most expensive camera I've ever bought! :)

Marc S.