Re: Eclair ACL

Just for your information, I've never seen a magazine on any mp
camera, from 200' to 1200' capacity, in which the feed side is driven.
But there are some that are made to be reversible, such as the Arri
16M, in which the take up drive switches gears when the camera is
reversed, allowing the feed side to take up.

Which magazine are you working with, English 400 ft.?  If so, it
isn't pictured in the ACL-1 manual referred to on the web site.  The
raw stock roll is inserted so that it feeds off in a clockwise
direction, and the film is simply pushed into the light trap as far as
it will go.
Although I've never bought film in Europe, apparently some suppliers
over there offer stock wound emulsion out (or did at one time.)  The
Eclair NPR magazine has two threading routes marked in the supply
side, one for emulsion in, one for emulsion out.  Eclair followed the
lead of Mitchell, it seems, in designing the magazines to take up
emulsion out.  Mitchell did it to counteract the curl of the film on
the 35mm emulsions of yore, and carried the idea over to 16mm, which
was an unnecessary irritation.  We always just gave the takeup belt a
twist on the Mitchell 16 to make it take up emulsion in.

One good thing Debrie did when they made the English ACL was to take
up emulsion in.  But Eclair, when they took it over and redesigned it,
went back to the insane emulsion out takeup of the NPR, so you could
enjoy the frustration of dumping a 400' roll of loose film into your
hand when you unloaded!

Wade K. Ramsey, DP
Dept. of Cinema & Video Production
Bob Jones University
Greenville, SC 29614

mpsyp@hotmail.com 10/31/01 8:41:57 PM >>>

So... to summarize, you can use either types of emulsion
configuration with either type of magazine with no adverse effects (because of the passive feed side)?

Marc