Eclair ACL cbell00@home.com

Hi Chris:

Yes, you can still use Regular 16. When and if you choose to etch your ground glass permanently, you'll have 2 choices --- a pattern that shows the Regular-16 area inside of the Super-16 full aperature, or a pattern that shows HDTV/1.85. Personally, I'd take the latter and just pencil in the Regular-16 area for as long as you require it, since it is going obsolete. Then you can just wash the R-16 marking off with alcohol on a Q-Tip without even having to remove the g.g. from the camera. Hopefully Super-16 should be around for the foreseeable future. Of the 4 major networks, 2 plan to adopt the 1125i standard, and 2 the 720p standard. That should keep producers scared of committing to HD for a while longer.

The tech most mentioned is Bernie O'Doherty. I don't know how many he has actually done. Once the kits leave my hands I rarely ever hear back from anyone -- I guess that's a good sign, but doesn't give me much info. Bernie can also have the ground glass etching done. His info is on my site at:

www.members.aol.com/super16acl  on the Techs page

Why don't you e-mail him before buying the kit to get a quote, and to get his opinion on the kit. I understand that the Zeiss can be modified (it becomes a 12-120) for about $2500. Check with Century Precision Optical in Burbank, CA, or I think Zeiss will even do it (although they may charge more).

I'll put a kit aside, although since Sept 11 it has been very quiet. Just let me know. Mark.

PS - I'm posting this to the topica site, but without the mention of a tech, as many techs are also members on topica.