Re: Eclair ACL Battery Options

If you are going the XLR route, use an XLR4 (4 pin, not 3 pin, which is for audio) and wire the + to the #4 pin, the ? to the #1 pin.   This is the standard configuration for 16mm 12v batteries and will allow you to use Arri, NPR, etc.,  batteries or cables should you ever need to.

wy@warrenyeager.com 11/17/01 12:32:43 PM >>>
Charge it right through the XLR.

Batteries have a + end and a - end.  Wire the cells inseries, the + of one
to the - of the other.  You end up with one + and one - left...at each end
of the series.  Solder that to a connector of some kind, and you have a
battery.  There aren't any other places to put other connectors, etc, so
your options are finite.  If you want another connector, for instance,
another type of plug for some kind of accessory, just run leads off the
connector you have already installed.  Since the wires are connect to an
open connection (ie, the connector when nothing's plugged in) the
electricity ignores unused connector and goes to the one which is plugged
in.

If you plug things in to both connectors, the voltage stays the same but the
ampreage (sp) drops, so you'll get the same voltage, but less battery time
(two things use more electricity than one).

Warren Yeager, SOC
www.warrenyeager.com ----- Original Message -----
From: "Joshua Tunick" <joshuatunick@hotmail.com>
To: <EclairACL@topica.com>
Sent: Friday, November 16, 2001 5:13 PM
Subject: RE: Eclair ACL Battery Options

This sounds way easier and cheaper than my plan. I have a question
though - I've never done anything with rechargables before, can you
charge the pack through the XLR connector or do you have to build in a
seperate socket. My electronics knowledge is pretty basic, any help you
can provide would be apprieciated, I'd like to put together a few of
these.

Thanks,

Joshua