Re: Eclair ACL ACL basic questions

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark" <super16acl@aol.com>
To: <EclairACL@topica.com>
Sent: Wednesday, March 20, 2002 4:13 AM
Subject: Re: Eclair ACL ACL basic questions

I recommend using a 14.4v NiMH battery, which has worked quite well for
me.
In that way the power drops no lower than about 12v when the battery dies,
so
that in theory you should never have an out-of-sync problem with a battery
going below 12v.

I've heard this recommended by a few others, but there is a strong reason
not to do it.
The drive circuits in the ACL motor use bipolar transistors. This means they
are more fragile than modern power switching components, which use MOSFETs.

It would be better to use a stiffer supply (ie., larger 12 volt battery),
rather than running the motor at the absolute maximum specified voltage. The
motors are incredibly expensive to repair and almost impossible to replace.