Re: Eclair ACL 14.4 volts on ACL HD motor

I'm sure that is probably true.  CP replaced the electronics but their conversion could do nothing to make the motor more powerful.  It just gave it variable speeds and a more stable speed control (nor did they claim otherwise.)  CP told us to use 14.4v to run 48 fps successfully, which worked.  They claimed the burnout point was in excess of 16v (I recall it was something like 19v, but I wouldn't swear to it--it has been a long time!)

We ran our CP converted English motor for several years on nothing but 14.4v very successfully, with the exception that it still wouldn't pull the camera to speed once the camera was cold-soaked below about 40 deg. F.  So we replaced it with a stronger motor, the Haflexx (no longer in business.)  Have had no problems with this motor.  A while back we sold the old CP motor we'd removed to a member on this list to use until he could get the Tobin.

Wade K. Ramsey, DP
Dept. of Cinema & Video Production
Bob Jones University
Greenville, SC 29614

rho@netreach.net 4/18/02 3:27:56 AM >>>
The AMAX voltage of the motor is determined by the electronics, which in the
case of the CP motor, were made by CP.
No conclusions can be drawn about the AMAX rating of an Eclair motor from
the CP specs, because the voltage is dependent on the reverse breakdown
voltage of the specific driver transistors used.

As far as "no problems detected", you won't detect any until burnout.
It's like raising the voltage to a lightbulb. The light is brighter, whiter,
better, until...
If/when burnout occurs, the result would be an enormous repair bill.