From: Leo Vale <leoavale@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 11:05:08 -0700 (PDT)
To: EclairACL@topica.com
Subject: Re: Eclair Cameras: T-max versus 7245

--- Julian Williamson <julian3rd@earthlink.net> wrote:
I find it doubtful that any b&w emulsion would be
less "grainy" than color,
primarily because in B&W, the silver halide crystals
remain in the emulsion,
whereas in color the crystals are used to activate a
dye (which makes up the
image) and the actual silver halide is then washed
away in the bleach stage
of color processing -- thus, there are no actual
"grains" but the remnants
of them left in color emulsions.

---Yes, but that's being overly pedantic.
When those silver grains are bleached out of the
emulsion, the blobs of dye left behind take the form
of the silver grain that vanished.  Maybe the dye will
bleed a little, but that dye blob will look like
grain.

In a print what we perceive as grain is actually the
space between the grains.  At that point, there's no
practical difference real grain and color ghost grain.

--- LV

http://search.yahoo.com