From: "Todd Anderson" <tanderson@alainjamar.com>
To: <EclairACL@topica.com>
Sent: Friday, March 07, 2003 3:53 PM
Subject: Re: Eclair Cameras: Eclair + Nikon

Hi Vic.

My tests aren't conclusive, so I don't want to come off as some expert.
I will, however, share my results thus far. If your lens is the newer
plastic auto-focus variety, I can't say for sure if the build quality
would be up to standards. The "hellicoid" for focusing, or however you
spell it, is looser on the auto focus Nikons. Your results may vary,
but unless is was operator error, my test came back with the footage
unsteady, alas, sharp. Again, these were just my simple tests. Also, as
stated below, the "AI" manual focus lenses have a "throw" that is
around 180 degrees from close focus to infinity. You have a much better
chance of getting in-focus shots. These, along with all manual focus
Nikon's, have a nicer "drag", too. It is a bit stiffer like a cine lens.

You can pick up a Nikon 50mm f1.4 "AI" manual focus lens on ebay for
around $100. This is about the sharpest Nikon (and luckily a bargain,
as well)  I suggest you pick one up and use this as a basis for all
your tests to compare what is possible with your camera. See how it
compares to your zoom, as well as other primes. Just make sure you
shoot some tests at a f4, which would probably give best results.

I'm sure this has been said a hundred times before on this board, but
the older Angenieux are a bit soft and grainy, especially at the wide
angle end. I love the look of these lenses with b+w stock at the
telephoto end (very kind to female faces), but I would only use them if
that was the look your material asked for. Of course, everyone has a
budget, so if that is all you can afford, go with it. Just don't expect
a "glossy" look, which is not necessarily a bad thing. I have a
Angenieux 9.5-57, which is the sharpest of the older Angie zooms, as
well as a 12-120. You may also want to try to get a arri-standard
mount, too. There are a lot of prime lenses for that mount-- Cooke,
Schnieder, older standard Zeiss. A lot of people rave about the
switar's, too. These lenses go for a couple hundred dollars and you'll
need to find a solution for the wide angle end of your kit if you
decide to use the Nikon's from 24mm and up.

It should also be said that I've noticed that extraordinary results can
be had in 16mm when the exposure and lighting are just perfect. I know
this seems like a given, but it seems in 16mm, everything is that much
more critical. Blacks get grainier quicker in the underexposed areas,
and the detail in highlights can go soft quickly if overexposed. I've
had unsatisfactory results even with my Zeiss's and Nikon's with
overexposure footage that was telecined. I know that it is best to
error on the side of overexposure with negative stock, but in my
findings, the telecine can have trouble with this as well, if more than
a stop.

Anyhow, I'm just sharing the knowledge I've acquired.  Only test will
give you the answer you are looking for.