From: "Todd Anderson" <tanderson@alainjamar.com>
To: <EclairACL@topica.com>
Sent: Friday, March 07, 2003 11:17 AM
Subject: RE: Eclair Cameras: Eclair + Nikon

Hey Mark.

I haven't seen you post in awhile ( I remember you as a fellow Beaulieu
R-16 to Eclair ACL  shooter) I've just been shooting 100ft daylight
loads, so I can't help you with the a-minima loads. What I can say,
though, is just like the Beaulieu, it just takes a few times to master
adapter, you'll be MUCH happier with your results using the Nikons. I
have some Zeiss superspeeds and Nikon's, and the Nikon's are as sharp,
and in some respects better--in the few tests I've done. There's a
catch, though. They do not perform as well wide-open as the Zeiss's,
and more importantly, you can only use the Nikon's from 24mm and up.
Otherwise, there is too much glass since you are using a superwide
fish-eye Nikon--the contrast is not going to be good. Also, make sure
that you get "manual focus" Nikon's. The loose build quality on the
Auto focus lenses can make the image jump like a jack-rabbit. Also, and
this is very important, Nikon makes "AI (older)" and AIS (newer)"
manual focus lenses. Get the "AI" lenses. The reason is that the
focusing scale on the the "AI" lenses is closer to 180 degrees, verses,
90 degrees, just like on cine lenses. Meaning, it takes twice as long
on the "AI" lenses to focus from 1ft to infinity. Why is this
important? It means that you have finer control in focusing. Twice as
much space between 2ft and 3ft etc.

So I would suggest getting Nikon's from 24mm and up, and maybe one or
two wide angle primes (what ever you can afford). I like the look of
the older Angenieux's with B+W film stock With color I think the look
is a bit dated and grainy, in my opinion.

I'm finally sending one of my ACL's to get converted to Super16. I
can't wait.

Todd