Re: Eclair Cameras: Zeiss lenses old and new ... my personal experience

...The Superspeed Bayonet mount Zeiss lenses are T1.2 ish, and are designed for
Super 16. They are wider and heavier than the standards, and sell used for around $1500 or more, though you can now find some pretty good deals for a set of 4 lenses (9.5,12,16,25) as everyone dumps their old stuff to have lens mounts compatible with HD.<

We have the old style Super Speeds (12, 16, 25), no focus gear, but with finger tabs.  Do these also cover Super 16?  We're considering the conversion and want to be sure we know what lenses we'll be able to use.  Also, I should have paid more attention, but can't recall what everyone is saying is the best zoom lens or lenses for Super 16.  We'll have to replace the 12-120, and I'm sure there isn't a Super 16 zoom with that range.  So what do you all find gives the best image quality?

While it has been argued both ways on this site before, for us impovershed
filmmakers looking to own lenses that give razor sharp images, I don't imagine that the difference between Standards and Superspeeds is material, assuming that the glass and coatings are pristine. Probably the newer lenses are a little better handling flare, but I've intercut shots from Standards and Speeds and not noticed a difference to my own eye --- your milage may vary....<

We've also intercut standard and Super 16 lenses and can't tell the difference (regular 16.)

Wade K. Ramsey, DP
Dept. of Cinema & Video Production
Bob Jones University
Greenville, SC 29614